AEi developed camera module assembly, alignment and test stations for multiple camera module programs for a European manufacturer of high-end electronics systems and subsystems for the automotive market.
Platforms & Products:
Processes & Tools:
- Active Alignment
- Machine Vision Guided Automation
- Epoxy Dispense and Cure
- Extensive design for manufacturing (DFM) collaboration
- Failure mode event analysis (FMEA) to minimize program risk
- Adhesive evaluation and experiments to optimize process
- 5 Degrees of Freedom (DOF) active alignment for improved product performance
- Configurable and customizable align and test targets
- Adaptable to different camera sensors
- Automated epoxy dispense
- Configurable UV cure wands for optimal epoxy cure
The application requirements included 5 degree of freedom (5 DOF) alignment of lens assemblies to image sensors in digital cameras to achieve required alignment tolerances while keeping manufacturing costs down. Environmental conditions in automotive applications — including a wide range of service temperatures and high shock and vibration conditions — require a very reliable and uniform alignment and assembly process.
AEi’s flexible automation systems enabled the customer to develop and produce compact, high-image-quality cameras within very short development and deployment cycles.